Monday, September 18, 2017

September 18-22

Happy Monday!

Reading
This week we are reviewing the parts of the DRA. We will read, "Each Kindess" by Jacqueline Woodson. We will use this picture book to do a practice DRA as a class. I want students to understand what is being asked of them when they go to do the DRA on their own the following week.
We are continuing to review the routines of reader's workshop. As a class, our goal is to build our reading stamina. Reading homework is to read 20-30 minutes each night.

Book fair is this week! If you haven't seen it yet, it's AWESOME!!! In all my years here, I've never seen a book fair this awesome before. Students will go as a class on Wednesday to buy books. They may go during the week during class, but at an appropriate time.

Writing
We will spend all week story telling. Students will share stories with a partner. I'm hoping students will have connections to each other's stories so they can add more ideas to their "idea list" By Friday, students need to pick a SFML (story from my life) to write about.

Spelling
We have started spelling this week. A spelling list was passed out. Students will be tested on September 29th, meaning they will have the words for two weeks. I do not have spelling homework in my class. I expect the students to study their words to prepare them for the test. How you would like to study is up to you. I did pass out a spelling menu to give them ideas in how to study. They can try these activities out or do none of them at all, if they wish. Later on in the year, students will have grammar homework.

Social studies
Theme is week is "Where in the World Are You?" We will discuss Christopher Columbus, latitude and longitude, and map skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment